Friday, June 23, 2006

Leaving my job - a glimpse of Nirvana

I think there are two kinds of pleasures in life - the orgasmic pleasure and the nirvanic pleasure. Orgasmic pleasure emanates out of actively engaging with the material things in life while nirvanic pleasure emanates out of the other extreme - rising above the material things in life. (Though you may argue that both of those result in an eventual release which leads to pleasure). Now I am not sure if one is better than the other - but it can be safely said that orgasmic pleasure is easy to come by (though taken literally - not so easily for us engineers), while nirvanic pleasure is not. So how can one experience nirvanic pleasure? - the answer is right here - leave your job. No, seriously.

Today was my last day at work. Until yesterday I felt nothing - I thought it would be just another day at work. But I was wrong - yesterday night it started as I was backing up data from my laptop and removing personal items from my laptop bag - I actually started feeling nostalgic! guess even though I did not particularly liked my job - there were some things which I did (c'mon not the laptop guys).

The next day I had a last document to work on which I wanted to do well before leaving. The first thing I noticed was how I was doing that piece of work a lot more efficiently than I usually do. The second thing I noticed was how everytime someone talked about deadlines, deliverables and so on so forth - I automatically broke out into a Budhha smile - I was feeling lighter, euphoric - I was on the top of Maslow's pyramid all of a sudden, had broken away from the karmic circle. There was a team meeting on a client document - and I was full of ideas (i.e during the time I was not dozing/smugly smiling at my other team members). It felt great.

And as soon as I walked out of the office there was a bounce in my step I haven't seen in a while (I think the last time was when I was probably 10 and bought a springy variant of action shoes). I called up tons of people and shouted "Me is a free man !". I guess that was my glimse of nirvanic pleasure. So go ahead guys - leave your jobs. Let there be light(ness).

1 comment:

hypermonk said...

Don't we all long for light(ness)!
Wrote a play, in a desperate reaction to boredom at work. Do read and let me know if it's worth doing. For then my friend, I too shall be free.